As a sleep and breathing scientist, Associate Professor Danny Eckert’s works to understand the cause of sleep apnoea and develop alternative therapies. I was shocked by the statistic that a million Australians are affected by sleep apnoea and Danny explains the variety of causes however it is clear that the 3 pillars of health – sleep, nutrition and exercise all play a role.
Inspire yourself with these essential insights from Danny
We spoke about
- How Danny went from an elite cyclist to a sleep and breathing scientist
- The spectrum of a breathing disorder from simple snoring through to severe sleep apnoea a serious health condition
- What happens when someone snores
- Factors affecting snoring
- Impacts of a breathing disorder on how people feel during the day
- Managing the factors within our control to minimise or eliminate snoring
- Changes to therapies over time
- Simple ideas to reduce the impact of snoring
- Benefits of quality sleep
- Ideas for enhancing the quality of your sleep
- The science of understanding the causes of sleep disorders
- The impact of sleep disorders on the body
- Paying attention to the ongoing symptoms
- The need to seek professional help
- Misperception about who snores
“Simple snoring is quite benign other than it’s effects on the bed partner of course!”
“People with untreated severe sleep apnoea are 7 to 8 times more likely to crash their car”
“If you sleep on your side it tends to be more favourable for breathing"
“Sleep is one of the 3 pillars of health”
“If you prioritise sleep and are getting good quality sleep on a regular basis this is how you get the most out of life”
“We know from many studies that exercise and activity during the day helps your sleep at night”
“Over a million Australian adults have sleep apnoea”
“Sleep apnoea affects every single organ in the body”
“Untreated sleep apnoea can cause cardio-vascular disease and premature death”
If you got value from this episode if you have not yet done so please Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes or Stitcher. You can follow the instructions here. If you know someone else that would get value from this episode as well please share it with them.
Until next time fabulous podcast listener, I’m Bev and I invite you to live the fab life with me now!
You can find Associate Professor Danny Eckert at:
Face book: https://www.facebook.com/NeuRASleepLab